The Bull In The China Shop Syndrome (by Greg Allen)

I unknowingly criticized another’s work one day, and soon after a coworker pointed out the error of my ways.  After giving that some thought, I said that he was right and apologized to the one I offended.  He blew it off, but though I wasn’t the one that made the mistake I was wrong for having magnified it.  My mind reeled after that and over the course of the next month I began to interview coworkers without them knowing it, as I filled a notebook with the scribbles of enlightening human behavior.

It wasn’t long until the tide shifted and rolled over me, for I made a mistake only weeks after I pointed out someone else’s.  It was one of those mishaps that drew a crowd.  I was embarrassed and could only say, “It’s my fault!”  No one was hurt, that was the fortunate part, but my pride was utterly bruised.

There were those that stood afar who showed quiet concern – they’re the ones who don’t have much to say anyway.  A gal offered some support by saying, “We all learn from our mistakes … don’t we?”  And a few derogatory comments were made, but one guy jumped in to help without saying a condescending word (I admired that).

The following day I expected to get a barrage of ridicule; none came.  The one I expected to heckle me the most never did.  When I asked him why he hadn’t razzed me he said, ”We all make mistakes, Greg … I’ve made a bunch.”  (I was taken back by that)

I’m proud of everyone I work with, for they all contributed to this piece in some form.  I’m proud of the fact that they didn’t eat the wounded or pile on, for instead they chose to embrace understanding and forgiveness by shining the light on their own shortcomings.

One I respect gave inspiration for the title by calling me “A Bull In A China Shop.”  I’ve been called many things, but after toying with the thought of that analogy I began to lean toward a new definition. That analogy usually means a person is reckless, rambling through life with aimless abandon – but I choose not to see it that way.  No doubt many just stumble through life, making a mess of it, but there are those who take life by the horns and tackle it with bullish fervor.

Sure they make mistakes, but they work hard at making a difference – I love those!

On the flipside there are those who are like fine china.  They don’t do much of anything but be pretty.  They stand for nothing, have no opinion, just barely do enough to get by, and blend into the background afraid to get chipped up.

The one I originally offended helped me by giving rise to a thought-provoking theme:  We all make mistakes yet fall into two categories, those that can admit they make mistakes and those who refuse to.

A wise lady once told me, ”If ya don’t make a mistake, then ya ain’t doin’ much.” Statistically, 93% of all those who attend church in America contribute nothing. They don’t volunteer or give monetarily.  The other 7% carry the load.  Which do you choose to be, the bullish one who isn’t perfect but strides to make a difference, or that shiny earthenware that’s seldom used?

The world is needy and crying out.  Inspiration stares us all down; it’s a tree ripe for the pickin.’ Lest we dare grab hold. – This piece was published in the Lebanon, Indiana “Reporter” newspaper – (12/4/09)

One thought on “The Bull In The China Shop Syndrome (by Greg Allen)

  1. One of my old Pastors use to say, “Is that an Amen or an Oh Me?” Your post was an Oh Me, for me today and just what God wanted me to hear. Thank you for your humbleness and sharing, it spoke to me.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s