This morning I was reading 1 Timothy, chapter 6. Paul referred to Timothy as a “man of God” in this letter and laid out some basic principles for godly men to follow:
- a man of God does not teach false doctrines, he teaches and fights for truth.
- a man of God does not enjoy and provoke controversy and quarrels.
- a man of God does not see godliness as a means to financial gain.
- a man of God puts his hope and trust in God, not money.
- a man of God finds his contentment in Christ, not in wealth.
- a man of God pursues righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.
- a man of God is generous and rich in good deeds.
Todd Wagner, the senior pastor at Watermark Community Church in Fort Worth Texas, has listed 5 characteristics of a Godly man, which I have listed below. These characteristics are based on 44 verses of Scripture. I STRONGLY encourage you to check out the following BLOG and spend time going through the Scriptures that are referenced.
STEP UP: Lead. Initiate. Be a man of action. Assume it is your job and your moment. Hate apathy. Reject passivity.
SPEAK OUT: Silence in the midst of sin is a sin. Be courageous. Fear God not man. Speak the truth in love.
STAND STRONG: Don’t give in when you are challenged, attacked or criticized.
STAY HUMBLE: Be vigilant against pride. Get the log out of your eye. Don’t think less of yourself, think of yourself less.
SERVE THE KING: Seek first His Kingdom, His glory, His righteousness. Hope in the eternal. Live for a greater reward.